Friday, November 9, 2012

Marijuana Legalization in US States Could Encourage Central America

Latin American leaders support legalization as a way to decrease violence, undermine cartels, and preclude US meddling

by John Glaser, November 07, 2012
Ballot initiatives in Colorado and Washington state legalized marijuana, while Massachusetts further decriminalized it, in decisions that could open the door for countries in Central America to defy the Obama administration and push through their own legalization measures.
Numerous political leaders in Central America have voiced support for legalization as a way to cut down on drug war violence, undermine the cartels, and preclude US meddling in the region. But the powers that be in Washington have vehemently battered this down.
“Politically and symbolically, this is really powerful. My guess is that this will accelerate some countries’ efforts to have a legal marijuana regime,” Alejandro Hope, a former ranking official in Mexico’s civilian intelligence service told McClatchy news.
“These important modifications change somewhat the rules of the game in the relationship with the United States,” said Luis Videgaray, head of incoming Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto’s transition team. “I think that we have to carry out a review of our joint policies in regards to drug trafficking and security in general.”
Uruguay has been moving forward on a proposal to legalize marijuana, albeit under a government monopoly. “Chile also has a bill before its Congress. I’m guessing that Argentina may also follow suit. This will go from south to north,” Hope said.
The drug war justifies all kinds of aggressive US foreign policies in the region, supporting repressive governments and para-militaries, while allowing the prohibitionist policies to deepen the black market in drugs and embolden violent drug gangs.

2 comments:

  1. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com‎

    ReplyDelete
  2. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete