• Hemp is the highest source of essential fatty acids in the plant kingdom
- The fast growing hemp plant is naturally inhospitable to pests and thrives with minimal use of chemical pesticides or fertilizers.
- Hemp has taproots 9 to 14 feet long, bringing subsoil nutrients to the surface and proteting the soil from erosion.
- Hemp fabric has four times the tensile strength and twice the abrasion resistance of cotton.
- Hemp fabric is similar in texture to linen or raw silk and possesses a soft hand, or feel.
- Hemp processing and manufacturing steps are also less enironmentally taxing than those of many other fibres (notably cotton), requiring less toxic chemicals and dyes to creat finished fabric.
- Cotton crops use 53 million pounds of pesticides and 1.6 billion pounds of synthetic fertilizers each year. These toxic cheicals are destroying farmland and findinng their way into food and water. (Source: Inc. Magazine, May 1999, pg 29-32).
- The cotton used to creat one 100% cotton t-shirt requires 1/3 lb of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides to grow. (Source: Sustainable Cotton Project, USA)
- Hemp is naturally resistant to UV light (meaning you need less sunscreen), mold, mildew and salt water.